Saturday, February 12, 2011

String Cheese Incident

Fred and Patty drove Jordan out to Utah on Monday so they could drop him off at the MTC on Wednesday. Unfortunately, they drove right into a major storm. The road got closed somewhere in Wyoming. Had they been about 5 minutes earlier, they would've made it through. Maybe it's for the best though. There was a nasty accident up ahead that took some lives. They spent the next 15 hours - all through the night - waiting in the car. At a standstill. They had to turn the car on for 10 minutes every half hour through the entire night to keep from freezing to death. Luckily they didn't run out of gas. No bathrooms, no beds, and even the food ran out. It was a miserable experience.

Patty gave us an update when they got back home but we all wanted to know more! She whetted all of our appetites nicely with a detailed email. Here's the majority of it:

We got to Erin's about noon on Tuesday, showered and went shopping for a few last minute things for Jordan at about 2. We took Ashton with us. Jordan got three more short sleeved shirts, and found another pair of Ecco shoes on sale for $100 at Mr. Mac's. He bought a hymn book and a missionary book packet: Jesus the Christ, Our Search for Happiness, etc. at Distribution. He got a few things at Walmart. Linda had told us where to find all these stores in the same strip mall, so that was pretty easy.

We went to Jason and Julie's for an hour or so and met the dog. Then we went to Linda and Warren's with Erin's and Jason's families. Warren had a little FHE planned: advice and kind words for Jordan. Then we went back to Erin and Paul's. Fred and I were exhausted, and Jordan went to bed pretty early, too.

We had missed our planned museum of art exhibit and our planned trip to the Salt Lake temple, and thought about trying to do one of those activities on Wednesday morning. But we decided to take it easy and spent a little time with the children and Erin before school. Then we got ready and left there around 11 or so.

We drove to Provo on State street, which was just as fast and more interesting then the freeway. Dad pointed out all the places that were familiar to him. We got gas at Costco and Jordan and Fred went in for a few minutes. Then we met three of Jordan's friends at the Marriott Center parking lot and he talked with them for a few minutes and shook hands and said goodby!

He was too nervous to eat much, but we went to the Creamery and he got a cheese stick!

Then it was time to go. We were greeted at the gate by an older volunteer brother. There were numbered parking spots along the curb- about 20. Each spot had three or four missionaries waiting to greet and help with luggage. We got out, unloaded Jordan's bags (we had practiced how he could stack them, etc and handle all four, but he didn't need to do it alone) We hugged and cried and hugged and cried some more. His helpers took his bags and led him away. We stood there for a few minutes, feeling a little sad and wanting to run after him for one more hug, but controlled the urge and left!

It is so hard, when we are used to almost anytime communication, to not be able to call or text and see how he is doing.

This is the first time in 41 years that we have not had at least one child with us. Adjusting to empty nestedness will take some time.

We love you all and miss you.

Thanks for filling our nest for all these years, and now filling it with your families, as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment