Tuesday, December 18, 2012

December 3, 2012


This week was good, but kind of rough. We have not had any luck in finding a new place to live, but that doesn't concern me that much. This week we had the baptisms of Brian and Brenda lined up for Saturday. We spent most of the week preparing things for the baptism. (ie. Baptismal Interview, organizing the bap service, calling and inviting members to the service, getting the clothes ready, getting the kids ready, filling out the paperwork and so on.) Saturday rolled around and we spent all day filling up the font. The plumbing is kind of ancient in the church, and it takes about 7 hours to fill up the font. We had arranged that the kids come to the church at three thirty to come and get ready for the service at four. The kids didn't come at three thirty. The members started coming at four and the Hermanas prepared a lot of refreshments. We called the kids about 500 times and no one answered. Finally, I called the Mom of the kids who is not a member and she answered and just started shouting telling me that the kids had been fighting, so she wouldn't take them to the baptism. I tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't hear any of it. I hung up the phone and was totally sad and embarrassed. I went in to tell the members that there wasn't going to be a baptism and apologize. I did, and they were all kind of bothered, but they were nice about it. My face must have showed that I was really discouraged because the bishop cane up to me and hugged me for about 17 minutes. He's great. It was frustrating but oh well. I talked to the kids and they still want to be baptized. I just how to figure out things with the Mom. Luckily I have rock solid Reynolds at my side. He;s the best. 

But, things are good. Like I said in the last email, I almost always am totally okay with whatever is going on, and the failed bap didn't change that. Today we had a zone activity and just had a big water balloon fight. I forgot to bring extra underwear and am now sitting in wet wet underwear under my shirt and tie. Que va a hacer. It was totally fun. All is well. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment